Yekrangi & Associates is Open! We are now conducting in person, telephone, and video consultations. Please do not hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

Obtaining a Green Card through Marriage

Obtaining a Green Card through Marriage

Moving to the United States as a marriage green card permanent resident can be complicated, as the pathway to citizenship is a stressful one. While it is ultimately a positive and happy reason, there are many factors along the way which will require the help of an experienced Irvine immigration lawyer, such as ours at Yekrangi & Associates.

Obtaining a Green Card Via Marriage

To obtain a green card through marriage, you can go about it in one of two ways. First, if your spouse is a permanent resident, your spouse will file a petition for you, with evidence relating to your relationship--including but not limited to important documents such as your marriage certificate. Next, you will apply for an adjustment of status in the U.S., or for a green card if you are out of the country. You can only do so if your visa is in status.

Adjustment of Status: Out of Status

The other option is to apply for adjustment of status even if you are out of status. If you have previously been lawfully admitted to the country, you will be eligible for adjustment of status. In order to become finalized as a U.S. citizen, you must remain married and wait 3 years after you obtain your green card. If you and your partner divorce, you must wait 5 years.

Do Not Commit Fraud

The most important thing to remember is your reasons for coming to the United States, primarily your husband or wife. In the current political climate, immigration is now harder than ever, and your green card interviews will be conducted with great detail. These are to be taken seriously, as they can severely impact your status as a citizen. It is essential you remain honest no matter the circumstances, as you will be asked a number of extremely personal questions regarding your marriage, in order to verify that you and your spouse are not attempting to commit fraud.

Talk to an Irvine Green Card Lawyer at (949) 478-4963

If you or a loved one are seeking to obtain a green card through marriage, you will need to enlist in the help of a skilled and knowledgeable Irvine immigration lawyer. Our team at Yekrangi & Associates is dedicated to helping keep families together because we have a unique perspective on immigration. Attorney Yekrangi’s personal passion behind helping immigrants is an asset to all clients he serves. Don’t take on this vitally important situation on your own--let us help you acquire the results you deserve.

To schedule an initial consultation with a green card attorney in Irvine, don’t hesitate to contact us at (949) 478-4963.
Se habla Español. Services also availabie in Farsi and Mandarin.


Contact Us

Let's Get Started on Your Case Together.
    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.