Adjust Status (Green Card Application): L1B Visa

Who is the L-1B Visa For?

The L1B visa is offered to people with “specialized skills and knowledge.” This is defined as

  • any knowledge of the petitioning company’s products, services, research, equipment, techniques, management, and their application in international markets

  • an advanced knowledge of the company’s processes and procedures

What Are the Requirements for L-1B?

In order to be eligible for the L-1B visa, you must have work experience with a company outside of the United States for at least one of the last 3 years before they petition for your adjustment of status. Below are additional requirements:

  • you have specialized skills or knowledge related to your work.

  • your intended U.S. employer has been doing business for more than a year.

  • Your intended U.S. employer and your foreign employer have an eligible relationship and are willing to act on your behalf until the application process is completed.

  • Demonstrate eligibility for a green card

  • Present evidence of any criminal convictions

  • Forms G325A, I-693, I-864, I-765, and I-131 as relevant

  • Two passport color photos taken within 30 days of submission

  • Copy of birth certificate with english translation if needed

  • Copy of nonimmigrant visa page in your passport

  • Present thorough additional documentation as needed to prove the circumstances of your application.

  • Application fee, fingerprinting fee

How to Apply for L-1B Visa

  • PERM labor certification process (can take years)

  • Employer files Form I-140 on your behalf

  • Apply for EB-2 or EB-3 immigrant visa

What are the Benefits of the L-1B?

  • The L1B visa is valid for up to five years including extensions.

  • Under L1B you can work part-time and there are no wage requirements.

  • Dual intent rule doesn’t apply to an L1B visa, so you don’t have to prove your intent to return to a country of origin at end of the visa. Visa holders can apply for permanent residence after having entered on a nonimmigrant visa.

Need Counsel for an Immigration Case? Call (949) 478-4963!

Immigration law can be complicated and this article does not exhaust all the issues that could arise due to adjusting status. These issues can be extremely complex, and a single misstep could potentially lead to a deportation or other immigration penalties. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our office.

Call our law firm to consult with an immigration attorney today at (949) 478-4963.
Se habla Español. Services are also available in Farsi and Mandarin.

Related Posts
  • What is Adjustment of Status? Read More
  • Grounds for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status Read More
  • Can I Request USCIS to Reopen My Immigration Application? Read More

Schedule a Consultation Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.