Yekrangi & Associates is Open! We are now conducting in person, telephone, and video consultations. Please do not hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

How Does a  Fiancé Visa Work?

How Does a Fiancé Visa Work?

What is a Fiancé Visa?

U.S. Citizens who want to bring their foreign fiancé to the United States must file a K-1 visa petition before getting married. However, applying for a fiancé visa (K-1 visa) has a few rules that you must abide by to be eligible. Here’s what you need to know to get started:

What Are The Eligibility Requirements for a Fiancé Visa?

You must meet the following requirements to obtain a fiancé visa:

  • You are a United States citizen.
  • You met your fiancé in person within the past two years (some exceptions may apply).
  • Both you and your fiancé are legally able to marry (meaning you dissolved all prior marriages through a divorce, annulment, or death).

Certain cultures have different ways of approaching marriage and engagement, so the USCIS (U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services) has made some exceptions when filing for the K-1 visa. For example, if it is against your culture to meet your fiancé in person before marrying, this may be an exception.

Common Reasons Why Fiancé Visas Get Denied

Applying for a fiancé visa on your own can present many complications, as well as cause a visa denial if you make the following mistakes:

  • Not properly signing documents.
  • Not entering proper information on visa applications.
  • Not using the proper forms.
  • Not showing evidence that a real relationship exists which could be construed as a sham or fraudulent marriage.

You and your partner must intend to marry within 90 days of your foreign fiancé’s arrival in the United States. Failure to marry him or her within the 90-day time-frame will then change your fiancé’s immigration status to unlawful. If you’ve failed to marry your fiancé within the 90-day window, it’s imperative to contact an Orange County immigration lawyer immediately for help.

Why You Need an Immigration Attorney

Obtaining a fiancé visa can be a complicated process. However, having an experienced immigration attorney on your side can make all the difference in the outcome of your case. Attempting to apply for a fiancé visa without the help of an attorney leaves room for errors.

If you and your fiancé need assistance with your fiancé visa, we are here to help. Contact Yekrangi & Associates today at (949) 478-4963 to learn more about how to get your fiancé visa application started.


Contact Us

Let's Get Started on Your Case Together.
    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.