Call today for a consultation 949.478.4963

  • We Have Been In Your Shoes

    As an immigrant himself, our attorney understands how this decision can affect your life.

    Meet Our Attorney
  • Taking a Holistic Approach

    We always look at the bigger picture, especially those cases where your freedom is on the line.

    Criminal Law & Immigration
  • Are Your Rights Protected?

    See how our law firm can help protect your rights if you are facing a deportation threat.

  • Take the First Step Today

    When you’re ready to talk, we’re here to listen. Reach out to our law firm today.

    Free Consultation

How Have Immigration Laws Changed for Same Sex Couples?

As of 2015, the Supreme Court of the United States legalized same sex marriage in all fifty United States. Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) individuals have the same immigration rights as their opposite-sex counterparts. Now, LGBT gay and lesbian couples are entitled to the same immigration benefits as their opposite-sex counterparts. Contact an experienced California gay marriage attorney today for a consultation regarding gay immigration laws.

What Immigration Benefits am I entitled to?

As a United States Citizen or lawful permanent resident (green card holder), you can sponsor your spouse for a family-based visa, green card, or naturalization, the same way as opposite-sex couples. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) no longer discriminates between gay couples and straight couples.

Similarly, as a United States Citizen, you may petition for a fiancé or fiancée visa for your same-sex partner. So long as all other immigration requirements are satisfied, he or she may enter the United States for marriage.

Further, If you and your spouse were married in a place that recognizes same-sex marriage, but now live in a state that does not recognize gay marriage, you are entitled to all federal immigration benefits.

Also, If you previously filed for immigration benefits, but were denied benefits based on the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), you may ask the USCIS to reconsider the petition. Contact an Irvine immigration attorney to discuss requesting a reconsideration of your previously denied application.

Are you from a County that Persecutes People Based on their Sexual Orientation?

Many nonimmigrants living in the United States choose to live in the United States because returning to their homeland may expose them to persecution and other harm. Many countries have laws against gays and lesbians. Some societies do not accept gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered people. If you are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered and are from a country that persecutes or otherwise marginalizes you because of your sexual orientation, you may be eligible for asylum. Contact an experienced gay asylum attorney to discuss your case in greater detail. Once you are granted asylum in the United States, you will become a permanent resident and receive a green card.

Discuss Your Case with an Immigration Attorney

Immigration changes in favor of gay and lesbian couples opens a giant path for same-sex partners who were previously denied immigration benefits. Take advantage of these new immigration laws that emphasize and celebrate equality. Contact a California gay marriage immigration attorney today for a consultation regarding LGBT immigration laws. The Law Office of Ashkan Yekrangi, P.C. celebrates marriage equality.

We serve Southern California, specifically Orange County and cities therein, including Aliso Viejo, Anaheim, Buena Park, Costa Mesa, Dana Point, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Irvine, Laguna Beach, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Newport Beach, Orange, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Santa Ana, Tustin, Westminster and Yorba Linda.