Yekrangi & Associates is Open! We are now conducting in person, telephone, and video consultations. Please do not hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

Can I Get Food Stamps If I’m Undocumented?

Can I Get Food Stamps If I’m Undocumented?

Immigrating to the United States is a difficult journey. If you are in the United States after fleeing your home country, you might be wondering if you can seek aid from the government. A common form of assistance that many people receive is food stamps. Find out if undocumented immigrants can get food stamps below.

Can I Receive Food Stamps?

Unfortunately, only lawful immigrants can seek assistance from CalFresh to get food stamps. If you are undocumented it is important to note that although CalFresh does consider the information you provide them confidential, they will check the immigration papers you give them with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If you are undocumented, they will not ask you for your immigration documents.

If you are a lawful permanent resident of the United States, you can apply for CalFresh if you have been in the U.S. legally for five years, or are a child under 18, get a disability-related

benefit, or have enough work history in the U.S, you may be able to get CalFresh.

I’m Undocumented & I Need Assistance, What Should I Do?

If you are undocumented and you need assistance, you should contact an experienced immigration attorney as soon as possible. If you left your home country because you feared persecution, you can apply for asylum if you entered the United States less than one year ago. There may be options available to help you remain in the country and become a lawful permanent resident so that you can obtain assistance like CalFresh (if you meet the requirements). If you fear deportation, an experienced attorney can also guide you through that process.

Our team at Yekrangi & Associates is here to help you! Contact our Orange County immigration attorneys today at (949) 478-4963 to schedule a consultation!


Contact Us

Let's Get Started on Your Case Together.
    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.