Yekrangi & Associates is Open! We are now conducting in person, telephone, and video consultations. Please do not hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

Whittier Immigration Attorneys When you're ready to talk, we're here to listen.

Frequently Asked Questions About Immigration

Answers from an Orange County Immigration Attorney

The United States immigration system is very complex, and people get confused easily when they try to address immigration matters. If you are facing an immigration problem in Southern California, it is important to retain a dedicated Orange County immigration attorney who can defend your interests, promote your rights, and provide you with strategic professional counsel every step of the way.

At Yekrangi & Associates we have been honored to help clients throughout the Orange County area achieve their immigration goals. Attorney Ashkan Yekrangi is skilled in the area of immigration law.

Read the following answers to common questions we receive, or learn more directly from Attorney Yekrangi during a telephone consultation. Do not hesitate! Call Yekrangi & Associates today to learn more.

  • I have a green card. Am I eligible to obtain citizenship? - Your green card allows you to live and work in the United States while pursuing naturalization if you choose. Anyone who is in possession of a valid green card and who has been physically present in the country for a sufficient period of time may apply for naturalized citizenship so long as he or she meets certain requirements, including the ability to speak and write in English and a demonstrated attachment to the principles of the United States Constitution. Applicants who have not been present in the United States for long enough or who have been accused of committing crimes of moral turpitude will not be eligible. Talk to our Irvine immigration attorney to learn more.
  • I have a temporary visa but I want to obtain permanent residency. What is involved in this process? - Many students and professionals come to study and work in the United States on a temporary basis and then decide to pursue a long-term stay. This is known as change of status, and it can be a very complicated procedure. Each individual's situation is different, and there is no "one size fits all" answer. The important thing is to talk to an experienced immigration attorney about your unique situation and work through a reasonable course of action together.
  • Am I eligible for an employment authorization document under the Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program? - If you entered the country illegally before the age of 16, you may be eligible to defer deportation by obtaining your employment authorization document (EAD). An EAD allows you to work in the United States and pursue legal residency. There are certain requirements for eligibility under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which was enacted in 2012. Call Yekrangi & Associates to learn more about DACA and whether or not you are eligible to obtain legal status under this program.
  • What does it mean if I received a notice to appear before an immigration court? - If you received a notice to appear, this means that you are in removal proceedings. You may, however, be eligible for relief from removal. Call the Orange County immigration lawyer at Yekrangi & Associates, P.C. to talk about your situation and whether or not you qualify for cancellation of removal, asylum, naturalization, withholding of removal, or another type of relief. If you have a criminal record, then this process could be complicated. Attorney Yekrangi offers strong deportation defense and can provide aggressive, effective representation. Learn more during a phone consultation.
  • Which family members can I sponsor for immigration? - Family-based immigration is a common means of obtaining lawful permanent residency and citizenship in the United States. In most cases, a citizen of the United States may sponsor his or her mother, father, husband, wife, brother, sister, fiancé / fiancée, and / or child for a green card. If you are not a citizen but you are a lawful permanent resident - meaning you have a green card - you may sponsor your husband, wife, and / or unmarried child in most cases.
  • I am a United States citizen and I am engaged to marry a foreign national. How do we obtain a green card? - Your fiancé / fiancée must petition for an immigrant visa, and then after the marriage has taken place, your spouse must petition to adjust his or her status to permanent resident. In order to establish the validity of the marriage, an immigration officer from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services will interview and investigate you and your spouse-to-be. It is strongly recommended that you have an immigration attorney to help you protect your family's future in the United States.

Have questions about your consultation? More information is available here.

Former Clients Share Their Experience

We've Helped Countless Client Achieve the Results They Needed
  • “He did exactly what I ask him to do.”

  • “Amazing lawyer! Well recommended.”

    Darling M.
  • “He has a gentle and approachable personality which makes it easier to work with him.”

  • “Fantastic Attorney!”

    Shirin R.
  • “Definitely gets the job done right!”

    Sam B.
  • “Throughout the entire process, Mr. Yekrangi exhibited professionalism and meticulousness. He is very responsive and puts in every effort to address his client's concerns.”

    Zahra N.
  • “Ashkan has a passion for helping people!”

    J. S.
  • “Great attorney, great team, will always recommend them!”

    Sam P.
  • “Extremely thorough and patient.”

  • “I would highly recommend Ashkan and his team.”

    Wendy L.
  • “Quality experience with an affordable price.”

  • “The most honest and trustworthy lawyer.”

    L. M.
  • “Very helpful and professional.”

  • “Excellent.”

  • “I had a complicated immigration issue and he put me at ease.”

    Alex A.

Contact Us

Let's Get Started on Your Case Together.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.