Yekrangi & Associates is Open! We are now conducting in person, telephone, and video consultations. Please do not hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

Helping You Through All Steps of the Immigration Process Serving Families in Orange County & Surrounding Areas

Obtaining Green Card Through Marriage

Get Help from Orange County Green Card Attorneys

If you and your spouse plan on living your life in the United States, but one of you is a foreign national, you would need to apply for a marriage visa. If your spouse is a permanent resident or a United States citizen, your spouse will need to file an I-130, Petition for Alien Relative on your behalf. This petition will typically include evidence of a bona fide marriage relating to your relationship. It will also include but is not limited to other important documents such as your marriage certificate and evidence of your spouse’s status as a permanent resident or U.S. citizen.

Contact our green card lawyers online or call (949) 478-4963. We serve clients throughout Orange County.
Our services are available in English, Farsi, Mandarin, and Spanish.

How to Get a Marriage-Based Visa: Petition or Adjustment of Status

To obtain a green card through marriage, you can go about it in one of two ways. If your spouse is a permanent resident, your spouse will file a petition for you, with evidence relating to your relationship--including but not limited to important documents such as your marriage certificate. Next, you will apply for an adjustment of status in the U.S. or a green card if you are out of the country. You can only do so once you have received a marriage visa.

The other option is to apply for adjustment of status even if you are out of status. If you have previously been lawfully admitted to the country, you will be eligible for adjustment of status. To become finalized as a U.S. citizen, you must remain married and wait three years after obtaining your green card. If you and your partner divorce, you must wait five years.

Immigration is now harder in the current political climate, so green card interviews will be conducted with great detail. These are to be taken seriously, as they can severely impact your status as a future citizen. It is essential you remain honest no matter the circumstances, as you will be asked a number of extremely personal questions regarding your marriage.

How to Get a Green Card Through Family

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you may petition for certain family members to help them obtain their green card.

You may petition for:

  • Your spouse
  • Your unmarried children (under 21)
  • Your unmarried son or daughter of any age

The process is similar to obtaining a marriage-based visa. Below is the application process:

  • File Form I-130.
  • Provide proof that you are a permanent resident or citizen.
  • Submit evidence of your relationship, such as a birth certificate (see instructions on the I-130)
  • Submit proof of any legal name changes of you or your family member, if applicable.

In addition, if you or a member of your family is in the U.S. military, special conditions may apply. Reach out to a green card attorney in Orange County for guidance.

Contact Our Green Card Lawyers in Irvine. Call (949) 478-4963.

If you or a loved one want to obtain a marriage visa, you will need the help of a skilled and knowledgeable Irvine immigration lawyer. Our team at Yekrangi & Associates is dedicated to helping keep families together because we have a unique immigration perspective. Attorney Yekrangi’s personal passion behind helping immigrants is an asset to all clients he serves. Don’t take on this situation on your own--let us help you acquire the results you deserve.

Related Blogs

To schedule an initial consultation with us today, don't hesitate to contact us at (949) 478-4963!

Former Clients Share Their Experience

We've Helped Countless Client Achieve the Results They Needed
  • “Simply the best.”

    Ramin and Nazy
  • “Great attorney, great team, will always recommend them!”

    Sam P.
  • “You want him in your corner.”

    O. S.
  • “El señor Yekrangi es un abogado de inmigración en Irvine...”

    Michael O.
  • “I highly recommend Ashkan and his team!”

    Billy W.
  • “Provided invaluable insight.”

    A. S.
  • “Best Immigration Lawyer”

    AbuQamar Garden Grove, CA
  • “Ashkan guided us through the process every step of the way.”

    Earl P.
  • “Very caring & compassionate.”

  • “Best lawyer ever!!”

  • “I recommend his firm 100%”

    Betsy Patricia P.
  • “It was a pleasure to work with him.”

    Faizan H.
  • “Patient and Understanding”

  • “A lawyer with outstanding skills and excellent service.”

  • “He has a gentle and approachable personality which makes it easier to work with him.”


Contact Us

Let's Get Started on Your Case Together.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.