Skip to Content

H1B — No Cap For Specific Doctors

doctors consulting

The H1B visa program is a popular route for foreign professionals to work in the United States, but there is an annual cap on the number of H1B visas issued. This cap is a significant hurdle for many prospective applicants, as it often leads to a lottery system to determine who will be granted a visa.

Understanding the intricacies of H1B visa applications can be a game-changer for professionals seeking to work in the United States. For foreign doctors looking to practice medicine here, there's good news — many physicians are eligible for H1B cap exemptions, allowing them to avoid the stressful and uncertain H1B lottery process.

Criteria for H1B Cap Exemption for Physicians

H1B cap exemptions for doctors are largely dependent on the sponsoring employer. If the employer meets any of the following criteria (and hospitals often do), the foreign doctor will likely be exempt from the cap:

  • Accredited Nonprofit Educational Institution — An employer affiliated with an accredited nonprofit institution of higher education can be exempt from the H1B cap.
  • Nonprofit Affiliation — Nonprofit entities connected to or associated with a qualifying institution of higher education can also qualify for an exemption.
  • Research Organizations — Nonprofit research organizations or governmental research organizations are typically eligible for H1B cap exemptions.

Furthermore, if an H1B beneficiary is hired by a private employer but will be working at an organization that is cap-exempt, their petition can still be filed as cap-exempt. Keep in mind, however, that the H1B exemption generally only exists while the employee remains with the cap-exempt employer.

How to Use the J-1 Visa to Obtain an Exemption

International medical graduates (IMGs) may also use the J-1 visa program to avoid the H1B cap, but this process can be time consuming and less straightforward. The J-1 visa, also known as the Exchange Visitor Program, allows foreign medical graduates to come to the United States to pursue graduate medical education or training.

To obtain an H1B cap exemption using the J-1 visa, an IMG will:

  • Join a J-1 Program: Doctors can participate in a J-1 program in the U.S., such as a residency or fellowship, which qualifies as a "medical training program.”
  • Fulfill the Program Requirements: While in the U.S. on a J-1 visa, doctors should successfully complete their medical training program, which typically lasts several years.
  • Complete a two-year home-residence requirement (HRR): J-1 doctors must return to their home country for two-years before applying for an H or L visa.
  • Apply for the H1B Visa: Once the training program and HRR are completed, doctors can apply for an H1B visa, which is not subject to the annual cap. They must also ensure that they meet all the H1B eligibility requirements, including finding a U.S. employer who is willing to sponsor them. Please note that there is an exception to the Home Residency Requirement for certain doctors working in underserved areas, discussed below.

Two-Year Home-Residence Requirement

International Medical Graduates (IMGs) who engage in the J-1 program must adhere to a two-year home-residence requirement (HRR). After finishing their training, IMGs must return to their respective home countries for a mandatory two-year period before they can apply for H or L visas, or seek permanent residence. The primary purpose of this requirement is to benefit the IMGs' home countries by encouraging qualified physicians to practice there.

Physicians who are unwilling to fulfill the two-year HRR can explore the possibility of obtaining waivers that would exempt them from this obligation. As J-1 physicians are generally not eligible for the most common waiver of the HRR, a "no objection" waiver issued by their home country, they often pursue an Interested Government Agency (IGA) waiver, such as the Conrad 30 waiver program.

Most IGA waivers allow J-1 physicians to obtain waivers for the HRR if they commit to practicing for three years in a medically underserved region of the United States. Upon successfully fulfilling the three-year service requirement, these physicians become permanently exempt from the H1B cap.

Contact a Los Angeles Immigration Lawyer Today

The H1B cap exemption for doctors offers significant relief for medical professionals looking to establish their careers in the United States. At Yekrangi & Associates, we are committed to helping foreign professionals achieve their American dream by providing strategic guidance and support on all types of immigration matters. If you are a physician interested in working in the United States, our dedicated team of immigration attorneys can help. Contact Yekrangi & Associates today and take the first step toward practicing medicine in the U.S. without the constraints of the H1B cap!

Share To:

Contact Us for Your Consultation

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy