If you are a non-citizen and your spouse or fiancé is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you might be wondering how long you have to wait to get a green card. In general, in order to obtain a green card through a marriage, you can expect a waiting period of between 11 months to 17 months, depending on your situation.
The Orange County green card attorneys at Yekrangi & Associates explain the process and waiting period to receive a green card after getting married to a U.S. citizen.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Green Card After Marriage?
The average wait period for a marriage-based green card is 10 to 38 months. The waiting period will depend on whether your spouse is a U.S. citizen or a U.S. resident and if you live in the U.S. or if you live outside of the country.
Average waiting period if your spouse is a U.S. citizen:
- If you currently live in the U.S., the waiting period is an average of 10 to 13 months.
- If you currently live outside of the U.S., your waiting period is an average of 11 to 17 months.
Average waiting period if your spouse is a permanent resident or green card holder:
- If you currently live in the U.S., the waiting period is an average of 29 to 38 months.
- If you currently live outside of the U.S., your waiting period is an average of 23 to 32 months.
Factors to Consider
There are several factors to consider that could impact the green card timeline:
- The status of the petitioner (whether they are a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident)
- Whether the beneficiary is living in the U.S. or outside of the U.S.
- Which service center the application has been sent to
Experienced Orange County Green Card Lawyers
If you need legal guidance with your marriage-based green card, the team at Yekrangi & Associates has years of experience helping people seeking permanent residency. Our team of green card lawyers is compassionate and treats every case as a priority. We devote the time necessary to resolve each case in a thorough, caring, and comprehensive manner. We are ready to help you with your case from beginning to end.
Call our green card lawyers at (949) 478-4963 to schedule a consultation! Or complete an online form.
Our services are available in Spanish, Farsi, and Mandarin. Serving throughout Orange County.