Skip to Content

What If I Forgot to Tell USCIS that I Changed My Address?

two women reviewing papers

It’s common for lawful permanent residents (LPR) to move around, whether they move homes in a nearby area or move across the country for a work-related opportunity. However, it is vital that lawful permanent residents inform the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) when they change their address. Failing to do so could result in serious consequences.

Wondering how to change address in USCIS? Contact Yekrangi & Associates to learn more today. 

How Long Do I Have to Change My Address With USCIS?

All non-U.S. citizens are required by law to inform the USCIS of their new address at least ten days within moving. It is important to note that you can’t simply change your address with the U.S. postal service; you must notify the USCIS directly. Failing to notify the USCIS of your new address can have serious repercussions.

What Happens If I Forget to Inform the USCIS of My Move?

Non-U.S. citizens who intentionally fail to notify the USCIS of their address change can face misdemeanor charges. The misdemeanor can be punishable by up to 30 days in jail and $200 in fines. Not only may you face jail time, but you can also get deported. Lawful permanent residents can be removed from the United States unless they can prove that the failure to report the change of address was “reasonably excusable” or that the failure was not willfully done.

How Can I Check Which Address USCIS Has for Me?

The best way to verify which address USCIS has on file is through your online account. From there, you can see your history of AR-11 forms and which are pending or approved. If you are having trouble accessing your account, you can contact the USCIS online for help.

Change of Address with USCIS

Notifying the USCIS of your new address is not difficult. You can submit a change of address online or by contacting the USCIS’s contact number (800-375-5283). You can also complete Form AR-11 and mail in the form to the USCIS. In some cases, mailing in your notice is the only option when the USCIS website isn’t functioning properly.

Facing Deportation? Contact Us Today!

If you failed to notify the USCIS of your address change and now you are facing penalties, you should contact our team at Yekrangi & Associates. We have the knowledge, skills, and experience needed to help you remain in the country. Our team can analyze your situation and help you achieve your desired outcome.

Ready to update your address with USCIS? Contact our Orange County immigration attorneys today at (949) 478-4963 to schedule a consultation!


Contact Us for Your Consultation

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy