Skip to Content

How Becoming a U.S. Citizen Can Help Your Foreign-Born Children Immigrate


If you are currently a lawful permanent resident in the United States, becoming a citizen could help you reunite with your children who live in your country of origin. Immigration laws allow both lawful permanent residents and U.S. citizens to sponsor family members to get a green card and enter the United States. However, U.S. citizens have a greater chance of getting their loved ones to immigrate to the United States.

Can I Get My Child a Green Card?

U.S. immigration laws have changed frequently over the recent years, so many U.S. citizen parents or grandparents are unaware that their children are eligible to immigrate to the United States. U.S. citizens can sponsor their children born in a foreign country if they are under the age of 21. Although both U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents can sponsor their children, a visa immediately becomes available for the children of U.S. citizens. If your child is over the age of 21, they will still be eligible for a visa, but it won’t be available right away.

How Can I Become a U.S. Citizen?

If you’ve had a green card for five years or more (or qualify for an exemption that allows you to apply early), you may be eligible for citizenship. To become a citizen, you must go through the naturalization process. During the naturalization process, you must submit an application, attend an interview, and pass an English and civics test. If you want to become a citizen to help you reunite with your children, you should have an experienced attorney on your side. The naturalization process can be complex, so having a lawyer on your side can help you ensure that your application is filled out correctly and that you are prepared for your interview and exam.

Contact our Orange County immigration attorneys today at (949) 478-4963 to schedule a consultation!

Contact Us for Your Consultation

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy