Do you have a great business idea but don't know how to make it a reality? Are you unsure of the process for starting a business in the United States? Our Orange County immigration attorneys explain how H-1B visa holders can start the business they have always wanted. We will go over the requirements and how our firm can assist you through the process.
Establishing a Business using an H-1B Visa
Fortunately, starting a business as an H-1B nonimmigrant is similar to starting a business as a U.S. citizen. The only difference is that you must set up an entity that controls your duties and salary.
The steps are as follows:
- Create a solid business plan that shows your business has a chance of success.
- Research the different business structures, such as a corporation, LLC, corporate partnership, or sole proprietorship.
- Name your business and register it with the county office and the state government.
- Obtain a TIN (Tax Identification Number) and an EIN (Employer Identification Number) from the IRS.
- Lease a business location, whether it be a shopping bay, warehouse, or office space.
- To run your business legally, ensure that you have the necessary licenses, permits, and certifications.
- Because state law may have requirements regarding worker's compensation, benefits, insurance, health codes, and state taxes, it is essential to research every aspect of your business to prevent future legal problems.
Since the H-1B visa has such high demand due to its versatility and dual purpose, the USCIS has placed strict requirements regarding the nature of a visa applicant's employment. It is common knowledge that foreign professionals need a job offer from a U.S. employer in order to apply, but an H-1B holder can start their own business. Although the process is usually tricky and subject to increased scrutiny, it is possible. It is recommended to enlist the help of an experienced immigration attorney to help you with this process.
Let Yekrangi & Associates Guide YouThrough The H-B Visa Process
Hundreds of thousands of people yearly migrate to the United States to pursue the American dream. Let our team of seasoned immigration lawyers help you reach yours. We have years of experience helping people like you navigate the complex and ever-changing world of U.S. immigration law. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.
If you are ready to start a business, contact us by calling or filling out our online contact form. We look forward to helping you achieve your goals.