Skip to Content

Diplomats: Adjustment of Status


When entering the U.S. as a diplomat, you may qualify to receive a permanent residence visa or green card. (Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) Section 13)

Are you eligible?

  • Complete form I-485: Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

  • Meet the requirements for U.S. permanent residence

  • Show that you entered the U.S. as a nonimmigrant on an A-1, A-2, G-1 or G-2 visa and are unable to maintain that status

  • Your work in the U.S. is diplomatic / semi-diplomatic (not custodial, clerical, menial labor)

  • You or immediate family members need to remain in the U.S. for reasons of national interest

  • There are no reasons your permanent residence would threaten the national welfare, safety or security

  • Demonstrate “good moral character”

Documents to prepare

  • Birth certificate (copy)

  • Form I-485: Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

  • Form I-566, Interagency Record of Request
    Form I-508, Waiver of Rights, Privileges, Exemptions, and Immunities
    Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record
    Documents showing you entered the U.S. as a A-1, A-2, G-1, or G-2 nonimmigrant

  • Two (2) passport-style photos

  • Other affidavits or documents that demonstrate that you meet the eligibility criteria

Additional notes:

  • You will also be submitting a signed, sworn statement that you make at the interview

  • You will have to pay related fees.

  • You can apply for advance parole, or approval to travel and work while your green card application is pending.

Need Counsel? Call Today!

Immigration law can be complicated and this article does not exhaust all the issues that could arise for adjusting status as a diplomat. These issues can be extremely complex, and a single misstep could potentially lead to a deportation or other immigration penalties. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our office.

Related Reading

Call our law firm to consult with an immigration attorney today at: (949) 478-4936.

Share To:

Contact Us for Your Consultation

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy