Skip to Content

I am From Ukraine: Can I Apply for Temporary Protected Status?

Ukrain Flag

Yes, if you are from Ukraine, you can still register for Temporary Protected Status ("TPS"). On March 3, 2022, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) designated Ukraine for Temporary Protected Status (TPS), a program that protects foreign nationals from deportation to countries that have undergone natural or human-made disasters. For the next 18 months, Ukrainians already in the United States will be allowed to remain in the country and work without fear of deportation.

Ukrainians who have lived in the U.S. since March 1, 2022, are eligible to apply for work permits and deportation protections. The TPS designation is expected to benefit 75,100 Ukrainians in the U.S., according to a DHS estimate, including those on temporary student, tourist, or business visas.

Ukraine’s 18-month designation will go into effect on the publication date of the forthcoming Federal Register notice. The Federal Register notice will provide instructions for applying for TPS and an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

The announcement will be posted here. 

The process to apply for Temporary Protected Status can be a bit daunting. We recommend consulting with an experienced immigration attorney who can make sure your initial and renewal applications are properly filled out so that you do not encounter any problems in the future.

Temporary Protected Status. 


Contact Us for Your Consultation

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy