Skip to Content

Can I Work in the U.S. While Waiting for My Green Card?

a woman industrial worker

Waiting for a Green Card? Working is a Possibility.

If you’re waiting to receive your green card, you might be wondering if you can work while you wait. The Orange County employment immigration attorneys at Yekrangi & Associates explain if it’s a possibility to work while you wait for your green card. If you’re facing issues with your visa application, remember that it’s vital to have strong legal representation. If you need legal guidance with your immigration case, give our team a call today at (949) 478-4963.

Working in the U.S. Without a Visa

If you’re a non-citizen who applied for a visa to become a permanent resident, but you haven’t received a green card, you are not authorized to work in the United States legally. If you want to start working in the U.S. until your residence is approved, you need to obtain an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), which serves as a work permit.

How to Obtain a Work Permit

There are various work permits available to individuals to apply for, depending on their qualifications. For example, if you are an adjustment of status applicant, you can file Form I-765 with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Is Running a Business Considered U.S. Employment?

In most cases, home businesses are considered U.S. employment under immigration law. Therefore, self-employment isn’t authorized if you haven’t received your visa or work permit. Violating immigration laws can result in a visa denial.

Call Our Orange County Employment Immigration Lawyer at (949) 478-4963

If you need help obtaining your green card or if you need assistance applying for a work permit, our legal team is here to help. Our Orange County employment immigration lawyers have years of experience helping people with their immigration cases. Our team is highly knowledgeable in all things related to immigration, and they are up to date on the rapid immigration law changes. We proudly serve clients throughout Anaheim, Buena Park, Costa Mesa, and surrounding areas.

Contact our Orange County employment immigration lawyers online or call (949) 478-4963 for a consultation!
Our services are available in Spanish, Farsi, and Mandarin!


Contact Us for Your Consultation

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy