Skip to Content

Can U.S. Citizens Sponsor Half-Siblings for a Green Card?

two women working together in the Livingroom

U.S. citizens can petition or sponsor relatives to obtain a green card in the United States. However, there are some restrictions as to which relatives and family members they can sponsor. Our Orange County immigration attorneys explain if U.S. citizens can sponsor half-siblings for a green card.

U.S. Citizens Sponsoring Half-Siblings

If you are a U.S. citizen who is 21 years of age or older, you can petition to have brothers or sisters immigrate to the United States. According to the U.S. immigration law, people who were the children of at least one common parent (half-blood siblings) can be sponsored under the fourth preference category of family immigration.

You will need to provide documentation to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing that your father/mother was once married to your other parent and that their marriage ended legally, and later married your half-sibling’s mother/father. If the parents were never married, you or your sibling will need evidence of legitimation, or proof that a financial or emotional relationship was established with the father at some point before age 21.

What If I’ve Never Lived with My Half-Sibling?

It doesn’t matter if you never lived in the same home as your half-sibling, or if you didn’t grow up together. All that matters is that you and your stepbrother or sister are the “child” of a common parent.

Irvine Immigration Attorneys

If you want to sponsor your half-sibling to obtain a green card in the United States, you need an experienced attorney on your side. It is essential that you fully understand the process and carefully prepare what is required of a family-based visa application. Our team at Yekrangi & Associates can guide you through the process to ensure that you understand immigration laws and fill out the application correctly--increasing your chances of a successful outcome. We represent family immigration clients in Orange County, including Anaheim, Irvine, Mission Viejo and other areas of Southern California.

Contact our Orange County immigration attorneys today at (949) 478-4963 to schedule a consultation!

Contact Us for Your Consultation

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy