Family-Based Immigration When You’re Ready to Talk, We’re Here to Listen.

Family-Based Immigration Attorneys in Riverside

One of the most common ways to obtain lawful permanent residence (a green card) in the United States is through sponsorship by a family member. Navigating this process is difficult, however, as not every type of relative can be sponsored for a green card. Additionally, the procedure may change depending on your sponsor’s immigration status, their relationship to you, your immigration status, and your current location.

At Yekrangi & Associates, our family-based immigration lawyers assist clients in Riverside and surrounding areas with all types of immigration processes and challenges. We are ready to assess your situation, determine whether you may qualify for a family-based green card, and help you navigate the process with ease. You can trust us to answer all your questions along the way and help you feel confident and excited about your future in the United States.

Put our skills and years of experience to work for your case. Call (949) 478-4963 or contact us online to get started with an initial consultation.

    "They were very professional and helpful during my journey of becoming an American."

    - Jose L.

    "I am so thankful for Yekrangi Associates."

    - Mickey M.

    "I highly recommend Ashkan and his team!"

    - Billy W.

    "Ashkan Yekrangi is the best immigration lawyer"

    - Zahra H.

The Family-Based Green Card Process

Are you currently living outside the U.S.? You will need to apply for an immigrant visa through consular processing abroad. Once you obtain your immigrant visa (after an application and interview process at the appropriate U.S. consulate or embassy), you can present it to CBP at a U.S. port of entry. If CBP allows you to enter the country, USCIS should mail you your green card, which signifies your lawful permanent residence.

If you are already in the U.S. lawfully (i.e. with nonimmigrant status or protection under a humanitarian program), you may be able to adjust your status to permanent residence without leaving the country.

While both these options sound relatively simple, the process may take many months or even years to complete, and you will need to meet several requirements. As such, we urge you to get in touch with us so we can begin your process as soon as possible and maximize your likelihood of success.

How to Qualify for a Family-Based Green Card

In most cases, a family member will need to sponsor you, meaning they will file the initial petition on your behalf. This family member must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.

U.S. citizens can sponsor the following family members:

  • Spouse
  • Children (of any age or marital status, although unmarried children under 21 will have a higher priority)
  • Parents (if the U.S. citizen is 21 or older)
  • Siblings (if the U.S. citizen is 21 or older)
  • Fiancé(e)

When a U.S. citizen sponsors their foreign-citizen fiancé(e), the fiancé(e) will receive a K-1 nonimmigrant visa. This visa allows them to come to the United States, and, if they marry their U.S. citizen spouse within 90 days, they can adjust their status to permanent residence. Otherwise, the visa will expire and the foreign citizen will need to leave the United States.

Spouses, unmarried children under 21 years of age, and parents (if the U.S. citizen is 21 or older) are considered immediate relatives, which means they will not need to wait for a visa to become available. These relationships, therefore, allow for a relatively fast family immigration process.

Lawful permanent residents can sponsor the following family members:

  • Spouse
  • Unmarried children of any age (although children under 21 will have a higher priority)

Our legal team can help you understand what to expect from the family-based immigration process. We work with an unfailing sense of urgency without compromising attention to detail because we want you to reunite with your loved ones as soon as possible.

Let our dedicated Riverside family immigration attorneys provide the effective counsel and representation you need. Contact us online or call (949) 478-4963 to begin.

Schedule a Consultation Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.